Comollo Antiques, Fine Art & Wine
Recent Acquisitions (look here first) --Wine---Advertising --- Ceramics --- Christmas --- Clocks, Maps, Scientific and Mechanical --- Folk Art --- Furniture --- Garden --- Glass --- Hearth --- Jewelry --- Lighting --- Luigi Lucioni --- Metals --- Mirrors --- Paintings --- Photography --- Posters --- Posters-War--- Prints --- Sculpture --- Silver --- Sporting --- Textiles --- Toys --- Sold --- Links --- Home --- Contact
The Steuben Glass Works in Corning, New York was founded in 1904 by an Englishman, Frederick Carder, who immigrated to America after serving an apprenticeship with John Northwood, a noted British glass artist. Working with Carder in this period was the American Thomas J. Hawkes, but most of the firm's leading design work can be attributed to Carder. In the early years Carder created many types of lustrous lead glass, including the iridescent "Aurene". This latter type proved quite popular and was produced by spraying various chemicals and metallic salts on to a base glass (usually amber, clear or topaz). The addition of tin or iron solutions produced a matt finish, while alabaster and calcite produced green and red glass. Other similar formulas produced blue, brown and gold glass designs. Carder sold Steuben to the Corning Glass Works in 1918, but continued working with the company until 1936, winning fame for the company in many national and international expositions. Beginning in 1933 the company began building a reputation as one of the world's foremost creators of fine crystal.